Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer 2011 Trip to Denver

This July, my kids and I decided (or rather, I just decided.  My kids had no part in this decision) to visit the other half of our family in Denver, CO.  I admit I was nervous about the long 9 hour drive with just me and my kids.  I'd never made the trip without another adult with me before. I decided to leave later at night so that my kids would be sleeping for most of the trip.  It actually turned out really well.  It only took me 2 Red Bulls, a Jone's Soda, and some random snacks to make it to Denver.  Oh, I did have to pull over for an hour nap, but all in all, it was a very easy and smooth trip.

Our first activity with the cousins was a trip to the Library.  Erika wanted to push LuLu's stroller so Kalvin was put in charge of Judd and Ellie.  Judd insisted that his hat covered his eyes while he walked in and out of the library.
The Library was really nice.  My kids really enjoyed it.  We borrowed The Apple Dumpling Gang but Katie and I were disappointed to discover that what we thought was a hilariously funny movie back when we were little, is not so funny to kids these days.

Our second activity was a fun, yet very stressful and chaotic adventure at Pirates' Cove.  At least I think that's the name of the water park we went to.  Even though it was a Tuesday, it was very crowded.  Apparently, we went on Field Trip Day for about ten different summer programs.  The place was swarming with kids and very few supervisors.  But the kids had a great time and the only time we lost anyone was when we attempted the lazy river.  We lost Erika, who was smart about it and found a spot to wait for us to find her, Kalvin, who was completely oblivious to the fact the we lost him, and Maki, who didn't seem to care either way because all the boisterous teenagers surrounding him were annoying the snot out of him.
When asked to smile really big, all the kids did THIS.  I was waiting for them to compose themselves and pose in a somewhat normal fashion, but they actually HELD this pose until I finally realized they were serious.

Erika and Kalvin took to LuLu pretty well.  Erika was very attached to her and followed her everywhere.  LuLu seemed to like Erika as well.
I asked Kalvin to read to LuLu to keep her occupied while I did laundry.  It was really cute to see Kalvin being all dramatic with his reading and trying his hardest to keep LuLu's attention.

The last day we were there, Katie and Jake took us all out for Sushi at Mikuni.  Katie said it wasn't the best sushi and if she really loved me she'd take me to this other place.  Obviously she didn't love me enough.  But Mikuni was better than anything we have here in Utah so I was perfectly happy with it.  My kids even loved the food there.

After sushi, the kids wanted to wander around and look at the fountains for a while.  It was a beautiful night and a beautiful area so we decided it would be a good idea.

All the kids made a penny wish into the fountain.  Maki wished to come to Utah.  Maybe his wish will come true soon. ;)

LuLu was making sure her Dad knew who was in charge.  I think maybe Jake forgot for a minute and tried to make LuLu do something she didn't want to do.
There was a beautiful sunset that evening.  Unfortunately, we were standing in a parking lot when I saw it, but it was still very beautiful.
On the way home, Ellie made the perfect comment to end our trip.  She said, "Mommy, Mommy!!  I made a rubber ball out of slime!!"  Katie and I were speechless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment